What? New bike lanes are being installed along these parallel streets connecting downtown Minneapolis with south Minneapolis. Nicollet Avenue, with its many shops and other destinations, runs between the two bike lanes. The route intersects two east-west routes across south Minneapolis: the Midtown Greenway and the River Lake Greenway. Portions of the route heading north on 1st Avenue South include buffered bike lanes, in which cyclists are separated from the travel lane for cars by a striped area. The southbound lanes on Blaisdell Avenue include, at the Lake Street crossing, green paint to indicate an area where bicycles lanes and right turning cars need to be aware of each other.
When? A grand opening celebration is planned for Sunday, Oct. 9, from noon to 3 p.m.
MLK Park, Nicollet & 40th St.
- The Chef Shack—one of the great Minneapolis food trucks—will be on hand with marvelous food and FREE DONUTS (while supplies last). Chef Shack uses ingredients from local family farms and co-ops whenever possible!
- Music from DJ Jam E-Z
- Free bike washing courtesy Wash Me Car Wash
- Chair massages & martial arts demo, slow bike races, bike decorating
- Ribbon cutting, then group ride. Speakers include Council Members Glidden, Tuthill, and Lilligren; Jose Luis Villaseñor from Tamales y Bicicletas
- **Warm up for the group ride with Four Gates Physical and Energetic Culture [link: http://fourgatesmpls.com/ie/index.html], 11:45 am @ MLK Park
Pilgrim Lutheran Church, 1st Ave S & 39th
- Live music and free water at the corner of 39th and 1st from 2-3 p.m.
- Tours of Pilgrim Church and school on request!
5th Precinct Police Station, 1st Ave S & 31st
- Bicycle safety instruction and resources
- Adults and kids—test your bike handling skills on a bike rodeo course
- Try out a bus bicycle rack
- Mpls Police Department school liaison officers will be at the 5th Precinct giving away 60 bike helmets to kids without helmets. They will also have stickers to give out.
Why? The 1st and Blaisdell bike lanes provide yet another safe and easy-to-access route to downtown Minneapolis and other key bikeways (Midtown and Riverlake Greenways) in south Minneapolis.
More details about the project: http://bikewalktwincities.org/projects/south-minneapolis/1st/blaisdell-avenues